School Environment Award
The Schools' Environment Award has continued to grow since its launch in 2007. Ad Astra gained the award in September 2009.
The aim of the award is to raise awareness in schools on the importance of:
- environmental and cleanliness issues,
- as well as recycling and waste minimisation
- energy usage/saving
- water usage
Schools are required to identify areas where improvements can be made, implement changes to these areas, and then be able to sustain these improvements.
What are the children doing at Ad Astra to help the environment?
The children have put up posters in every classroom reminding them to turn off the lights and taps.
Every Friday the children bring the class recycling bins into the hall for Mr Best to sort through and put in the big blue bins outside for collection.
The PTA have bought new litter bins for around the school and the Governors bought new cycle pods to encourage children to cycle to school.
Mr Best has built composters and minibeast homes for the school grounds. In the summer term Mr Best holds a gardening club for the year 2 and 3 children.
Information for parents from the Borough of Poole:-
There are a number of ways you could help protect Poole's environment at home:
- Recycle for Poole - help reduce waste being sent to landfill sites by taking part in the Blue bin recycling scheme.
- Compost at Home - up to 30% of household rubbish is organic and suitable for composting. By taking this out of the bin and not land filling it we are helping to protect the environment.
- Join/ Orgainise a Tidy Up - we are able to provide volunteers who organise litter picks with gloves, litter pickers, bags, etc. We can also arrange to collect the waste after the litter pick (providing this has taken place on Council land).
- Join the Street Watchers Scheme - this is a scheme that was launched in February 2008 and encourages residents within the Borough to take part in community events, litter-picks, and reporting environmental issues (such as graffiti removal, dog fouling, fly posting etc) for us to deal with.