Curriculum (including Music and Sport)
Here at At Astra Infant School, we provide an engaging, motivating and meaningful curriculum that is inspiring to all our children and provides the very best start for them. Subjects are, where possible, integrated into exciting themed topics and learning activities which provide a carefully sequenced progression of skills, development and knowledge. Children themselves contribute to curriculum design and their feedback is often used to help update and improve our children’s learning experiences.
Our vision for our children is that they become empowered global citizens who make a meaningful contribution to society and play their part in making the world a better place.
The aims of our school curriculum are as follows:
- to teach children about UNCRC convention so that they have a respect for themselves, high self-esteem and be able to live and work co-operatively with others
- to instil a love of reading through high quality literature that unlocks imagination, expands vocabulary and provides access to unlimited discovery
- to promote a positive attitude towards learning based on the Teach Trust values, so that children enjoy coming to school and acquire a solid basis for lifelong learning
- to teach children key skills and knowledge through a broad and balanced curriculum, that fulfils the requirements of the 2014 National Curriculum, to prepare them for the modern world
- to enable children to be creative and to develop their own thinking
- to teach children how they can safeguard and enhance their physical and mental well-being
- to advance children’s cultural capital to enable them to be positive citizens in their local, national and global community
- to teach children about their developing world, including how their environment and society have changed over time
- to help children understand the importance of truth and fairness, so that they grow up committed to eradicating prejudice and celebrating diversity.
- to promote the British values of democracy, the rule of law, equality, individual liberty and mutual respect for those with different faith and beliefs
Please click the links on the right for more information.